Monday, September 27, 2010

Besant Nagar Beach

It was already 6'O clock in the evening and the sky was pretty clear with Venus shining silverish.  It was not dark yet.Thats when we decided to start towards ECR and hang around in some lonely beach watching the full moon casting its light on the high tidal sea.... like paving a road built of light on the sea water leading to Burma or Indonesia...

ECR, my best hangout in Chennai, with all its scenic resorts, beach following us all the way, churches here and there, forests... Ill head on to this place whenever I have no one whom I can talk to. I would like to add to my loneliness, whenever I feel lonely (I dont know why). There will be all couples speeding thru from Mahabalipuram towards chennai which again makes me feel lonely. But still I love to go to this place in the evenings and to watch the people of different kinds, kids, lovers, middle-aged couples and play the silent observor.

This sunday evening, when we started, we thought of taking our friend who lives at Nungambakkam. He came there and we four assembled near American embassy. It was 6.30 then. It was when two peppy girls crossed us in a girly vehicle. We having two bikes decided to play some game and worked out a plan. As per the plan, we decided to take our two bikes one on each side of those girls and start conversing with each other.  As usual they did not pay any attention and as usual we didnt care.

From there we went to Lattice Bridge Road and thence to Adyar. Just when we entered Adyar, it struck me that we are passing thru an area which I always wanted to visit ever since I read a blog on the net. It was theosophical society and the eerie Blue cross road. I decided that we are visiting that place tonight. I wanted some adrealine in my streams since it was a long time having any adventure.

We spent some time in the beach. Karthi and Dass had fish fries at the famous shop in that beach. Beach was unusually crowded this Sunday.  I was reading the map on Karthi's newly bought X-peria X10, and fixed the destination as Blue cross road in the GPS. The blue line indicating the route which we should take was very small and I realised that we were very near to the place. Having come this distance, I didnt want to miss the thrill.  Once we started towards the destination, my friends started warning me. Coming to IVth main road, we were about to take right and there we found traffic cops targeting youths. It was 27th day of the month and we didnt want to take any risk. Took the left there and went thru some distance and took a roundabout road to the blue cross road.

The triangular mark indicated that we are very close and just then Karthi screamed, "Hey look at this". We were taken aback when we saw the small lane which started abrubtly from the main road. I had had great interests in spooky, eerie and haunted places since my childhood. Wanted to find some treasures or go thru some adventures just like Tom Sawyer of Mark Twain. But it never happened. Neither did I stop trying every single chance to encounter an adventure. There was this need for challenge in me right from birth, or even before.

That lane was dark from the very beginning. Standing at the entrance of the lane all we could see was a sharp right turn some 30 feet down. We didnt know what lies after the turn. It was 10 'O clock by then. We could not spot any humans in that 30 feet stretch. After hesitation for a fraction of second, we rode thru the lane. When we took right, we could see walls on either side, a narrow dark lane which promised mysteries. We slowly went pass the trees and hanging branches enjoying that eerie silence. I was wonderstruck how this road could be so lifeless amidst the busy city. I recorded almost everything I saw there in my Eye-cam, just to rewind back during the night back at my room, wrapping myself in cozy blankets. Exactly half-way thru the lane came a tiny temple, probably for some Goddess. Then we came out from the other side. Still I wanted to take another round but I know my friends would not agree. So I silently headed on towards Kodambakkam.

In all, it was an interesting evening hangout.

No comments:

Post a Comment